1 the cloak as a symbol of authority; "place the mantle of authority on younger shoulders"
3 the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
4 anything that covers; "there was a blanket of snow" [syn: blanket]
5 (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell [syn: pallium]
6 shelf that projects from wall above fireplace; "in England they call a mantel a chimneypiece" [syn: mantel, mantelpiece, mantlepiece, chimneypiece]
8 a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter [syn: cape]
1 spread over a surface, like a mantle
2 cover like a mantle; "The ivy mantles the building"
- Rhymes: -æntəl
- a piece of clothing somewhat like an open robe or cloak, especially that worn by Orthodox bishops
- anything that covers or conceals something else
- the zone of hot gases around a flame; the gauzy incandescent covering of a gas lamp
- the cerebral cortex
- the layer between the Earth's core and crust
- the body wall of a mollusc/mollusk
- alternative spelling of mantel, fireplace shelf.
- The top of a woman's torso, from her shoulders to her breasts
figurative: anything that covers or conceals something else
incandescent gauze in a gas lamp
anatomy: cerebral cortex
geology: layer of the Earth
zoology: body wall of a mollusc
- Portuguese: manto
- To cover or conceal (something).
- To become covered or concealed.
The term mantle could refer to:
- A mantle is a piece of clothing, similar to a robe but sleeveless and often open in the front, worn as an outer covering.
All other meanings of the word derive from this one.
- Mantle (vesture) (Mandyas) is an Eastern Orthodox vesture worn by monastics and higher clergy.
- Mantle (geology) is a layer in the interior of Earth or another planet. Inside the Earth, Mantle is sandwiched between the crust in the top and the core in the bottom.
- A mantle (mollusc) is an organ possessed by mollusks which is used to secrete their shells.
- Gas mantle is a device used in lanterns, gas and kerosene lamps to produce a bright light.
- A mantle (also mantel, fireplace mantel, mantelpiece) is the stone or wood beam that serves as a support for the structure above a fireplace.
- A mantle (climbing) is a rock climbing move. It is used to surmount a ledge or feature in the rock in the absence of any useful holds directly above.
- Mickey Mantle was an American baseball player.
- The Mantle is an album by Agalloch.
- In heraldry, mantling is drapery that is tied to the helmet above the shield.
mantle in German: Mantel (Begriffsklärung)
mantle in French: Manteau
mantle in Lithuanian: Mantija (reikšmės)
mantle in Russian: Мантия (значения)
aerate, apply to, arachnoid, arbor vitae, archipallium, armory, badge, badge of office, badges, baton, beat, between brain, blanch, blanket, blazonry, block, blush, bonnet, boot, brain stem, brassard, breech, button, caduceus, canopy, cap, cap and gown, cape, cerebellar hemispheres, cerebellum, cerebral cortex, cerebrospinal fluid, cerebrum, chain, chain of office, change color, class ring, cloak, clothe, cloud, coat, cockade, coif, collar, color, color up, conceal, convolution, cope, corpus callosum, corpus striatum, cover, cover up, coverage, covering, covert, coverture, cowl, cowling, cream, crimson, crook, crosier, cross, cross-staff, curtain, darken, decoration, diencephalon, disguise, drape, drapery, dress, dura mater, eagle, eclipse, emblems, encircle, endbrain, ensigns, envelop, fasces, figurehead, film, fissure, flame, fleur-de-lis, flush, foam, folia, forebrain, fornix, frock, frontal lobe, froth, frown, gavel, glare, glial cells, globus pallidus, glow, glower, gnarl, gown, gray matter, grow red, growl, guise, gyrus, hammer and sickle, hanging, hat, heraldry, hide, hindbrain, hippocampus, hood, housing, hypothalamus, insignia, jacket, lapel pin, lather, lay on, lay over, lenticular nucleus, limbic lobe, little brain, livery, lobe, look black, look daggers, lower, mace, markings, mask, medal, medulla oblongata, meninges, mesencephalon, metencephalon, midbrain, mortarboard, muffle, myelencephalon, neopallium, obduce, obscure, occipital lobe, occult, old school tie, optic chiasm, overlay, overspread, pale, pall, pallium, parietal lobe, pelisse, pia mater, pin, pineal body, pink, pituitary body, pons, portfolio, put on, redden, regalia, reticular system, rhombencephalon, ring, robe, rod, rod of office, rose, rouge, scepter, school ring, scowl, screen, scum, shamrock, shawl, sheet, shelter, shield, shirt, shoe, shroud, sigillography, skull and crossbones, snap, snarl, sock, sphragistics, spit, spread over, spume, squirm with self-consciousness, staff, stammer, stocking, subthalamus, sud, suds, superimpose, superpose, surround, swastika, tartan, telencephalon, temporal lobe, thalamus, thistle, tie, truncheon, turn color, turn pale, turn red, uniform, veil, ventricle, verge, vermis, vestment, wand, wand of office, whip, whisk, white matter, whiten, wrap